This morning we woke up to this:
The picture doesn't really show it that well, but as you can tell from the sky it's snowing again. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that it's snowing still. The snow hasn't stopped falling for at least 24hrs, probably more.
An intense weather system from the north has dumped more than 30 cm of snow on Silver Star over the past two days and Environment Canada is forecasting a significant change to colder weather. The current temperature is -9 and that is expected to drop to -15 by this afternoon and -17 by this evening. The wind is currently blowing at 25 km/h with gusts to 40 km/h and that isn't expected to change.
Yesterday, the race organizers moved the start time up to 5:00pm due to the weather conditions. The jury will meet at 2:30 pst to review the weather and make a final call as to whether or not the race is going to run. Today's schedule looks like this:
2:30 - jury meets to review weather
3:00 - coaches meet with jury in race office to hear decision
5:00 - race start (if it runs)
5:13 - Madeleine starts
More to come as the situation develops...